Re: Disc brake conversions on '79 Midget?

To: Dan <smoothefeet@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Disc brake conversions on '79 Midget?
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:46:41 -0500
Dan wrote:

> Has anyone ever attempted to convert the drum brakes
> of midgets to discs?  If so, can anyone please direct
> me on how to do so?

I was wondering if this is the best thing to do.  I think
that it would be better to increase the effectiveness of the
front brakes as opposed to the rear brakes.  Once the fronts
are working better (better pads, bigger rotors, etc.) then
work on the back.  My understanding of this is brakes are
biased so the front will lock first. If the backs are better
then they would lock first and the locked wheel always wants
to lead.  This is just a couple of thoughts and I am by no
means an expert in the area of braking.

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget
90 Shar-Pei