Re: Z-S carb problem

To: MGS list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Z-S carb problem
From: Eugene Harrison <eugh@2xtreme.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 19:48:33 -0800
Thanks for all the responses!
       Lawrie was right on about the intake tract needing to be
installed for the Z-S carb to function properly. I readjusted the needle
for slight increase in RPM (piston lift method) then reassembled the air
cleaner, hot air flapper (bong bong bong, just love that lovely piece of
brit engineering), and now she reves sweetly to high RPMs.
Unfortunately, it still has a bothersome stumble at idle. I have had
cars fail the California smog tests with this stumble.  By blocking off
or otherwise removing components, I have eliminated  all other sources
of vacuum leaks except the carb itself. I will try using carb spray
around the throttle shaft next to check for leaks there. Are all Z-S
carbs like this?
Thanks again to all that responded.
Eugene