Classic Adelaide (too long)

To: MGs@autox.team.net
Subject: Classic Adelaide (too long)
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 23:38:01 +0000
(Pardon the length of this... the adrenalin is still running)

Well I have just spent the past four days touching, smelling, hearing
and watching some beautiful cars rallying through some beautiful
scenery... what a blast!  Last year I chased the Classic Adelaide (South
Australia) Rally around the countryside as a spectator but this year I
got up close and personal as an official.

When was the last time *you* got to wave down (to a stop) cars of the
likes of...

A 1960 Aston Martin DB4 (driven by Jack Brabham) ... ooops we lost that
into a tree on the last day - driver and navigator OK... the car could
not finish.  Or a 1936 LeMans Delage ... ooops we lost that one over the
edge, down a slope and onto its roof... sorry, no roof!.  Driver and
navigator OK (I wish they hadn't done that on *my* stage).  Still, in
both these cases they had lasted long enough (over two days) for most
people to see them in action.

How about a 64 AC Cobra or an 1968 SR2 Healey or a 1969 Aston Martin DB6
MkII or a 1961 Lotus Elite Super95 or a 1949 S1 Special Bentley or a
1961 PV544 Volvo....

OK, you should be able to see the total list on the website at
http://www.classicadelaide.com.au ... this was bloody hard work but so
much fun that I have already booked myself in to do the same thing next
time.

Oh yeah... of course there was ONE MG actually racing (there were two
BGTs running last year)... a lovely black MGA 1600 from Western
Australia which came in 55th overall out of a starting field of 95 (I
believe) and 6th in their class (Post Historic '62-65) behind the likes
of a VERY fast Healy 3000 MkII; the powerful and lovely '49 Bentley
Special; an XK140 Jaguar; the Lotus Elite95; an Austin Healy 100/6

Hmmmm, I might sleep well tonight but I will certainly dream of old
cars!

Eric
'68MGB MkII