Re: MG decision to make

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG decision to make
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 08:57:58 -0500
>From: Linda Gaubert <efg2@home.com>
>Subject: Re: MG Decision to make
>
>bob--
>go with the GT.
>First it is an MGB vs a Midget.  No offense to anyone intended, but if a
>Lincoln is available, why buy a Ford Taurus?
>Second is the fact that the Midget is a 77, built during the twilight
>years of MG, with big rubber bumpers increased ride height, reduced HP
>Finally is price--you can use the GT today for $1800.  Where will you be
>with another $1300 invested in the Midget?

Hey Linda:

Having driven both a Midget (that I own) and an MGB (that I test drove), I
feel confident in saying that the Midget defintely handles better, in terms
of cornering, ease of steering, stopping power, and to some extent,
acceleration.  I'd be happy to put it to the test!

The extra couple of cubic inches in the boot and the footwells doesn't
really change the comfort factor very much, and the A-series engine is
apparently (especially the 1275) given accolades as being the most durable
of all the BMC models.

Perhaps the GT's merits are proven with the hardtop and storage space, but
the extra weight and aerodynamic inferiority (drive over a windy bridge in
the wintertime if you don't believe me) don't supplement the fun factor.

Of course, I still want one.  (I'd even settle for a GT-6!)  Perhaps a
better analogy would have been between a Miata and an Accord.

Regards

Charles
'74 Midget
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com