Update on MG has no power after carb swap

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update on MG has no power after carb swap
From: "Tony Woodruff" <tonyw@mailmedia.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 08:18:37 -0800
Since so many of you offered advice on my problem, I wanted to update the list
on what happened after my carburettor swap.  If you're not interested - hit the
"delete" button now!

To review, I had removed my Weber set up and instead installed my newly rebuilt
Skinners Union HS4 carbs.  I followed the tuning to the letter, but clearly
something was wrong - it wasn't behaving as the Bentley manual (and Kelvin)
said it would!

The front carb had little effect on the engine revs,  and the engine also had
little power to move the car - although it ran fine at idle.

The problem was traced to a little rubber washer and various other crap that
was crammed in the hole in the bottom of the float bowl.  It was blocking fuel
flow to the jet.

I discovered it by taking the dashpot covers and pistons off of the installed
carb and seeing NO fuel on the jet!  I then removed the little hose from the
jet and turned on the ignition to get the fuel pump pumping - not much fuel
coming out - just a drip!

My carburettor rebuild skills moved up a notch having learned to look closely
for junk, not only in the bottom of the float bowl, but between that hole and
the hose to the jet!

Funny how you learn skills that you'll probably never need again!

Thanks to everyone who helped, particularly those that suggested a lean fuel
mixture was the cause - that led me to the fuel starvation solution.

Tony Woodruff
67 MGB Roadster
67 MGB/GT - parts only at this point.....