timing questions on Midget

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: timing questions on Midget
From: BOB HILL <oldcars@newt.vallnet.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 23:20:44 -0600 (EST)
Being no mechanic I have a question that may seem elementary to many but I
need toknow the answer.

I got the 77 Midget home today and it started and ran horribly bad.  Seems
among other things that the timing is way off.  THe problem now is that
the car will not start.  I have moved the distributor a little in both
direction with no avail.  There is spark and I have set the points to the
proper gap and fuel is getting to the carb so I am assuming that hte car
is BAd out of timing - so bad it will not run.  The question I have is
this:

How do I set the timing properly without being able to get the car
started.  Remember, I am not a mechanic so make your explanation easy
first and not beyond the scope of my abilities secondly.

Thanks a million in advance

Bob

79 MGB
97 Jaguar XJ6
77 Midget (sitting in garage with the hood up !!!)