Re: Went to look at a '75 B today...

To: Mgbreh@aol.com
Subject: Re: Went to look at a '75 B today...
From: Jim Boyd <ISC@dcsi.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 07:19:34 -0800
Hey Listers:

When seeking a project car, I always try to find the car with the best
cosmetics, i.e., paint and interior.  Unless you are adept at paint and
bodywork, these can run into big bucks very quickly.  Even if you possess
these skills, many parts of the country are making it increasingly
difficult to apply your own paint.  Ideally maybe you can rent a paint
booth for a day or so.

On the other hand, rebuilding the mechanicals are pretty straightforward.
The MGB engine is just a glorified tractor motor with tried and true
engineering of 30+ years!

I just sold a '78 B roadster rolling tub, no engine, trans, interior, but
absolutely RUST FREE for $150.00.  A car like this would make a great
addition to a car that has all the mechanicals but is full of rust.

I've enjoyed several rubber bumper B roadsters over the years, but in CA
they are looked upon with great disdain (right along with GTs!!).  A few
years ago, I sold a '78 butterscotch roadster driver, with a Snug Top
hardtop, new tires, good carpets, no dents or dings, 60K original miles for
$1500.  It passed the stringent CA smog with no problems and I still see it
on the road every once in a while.  The butterscotch paint was a real
drawback (there are worse colours!) and it took me 8 months to find a buyer!

I've learned that there is always another car deal out there.  And just
like real estate, the buyer actually determines the selling price!

Cheers,
Jim Boyd
Paradise, CA