MGB Trailer: A Non-Crusher Story!!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Trailer: A Non-Crusher Story!!
From: Jim Boyd <ISC@dcsi.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 07:39:02 -0800
Hey Listers:

With all the hoopala about crushing MGB GTs, let me tell you a brief story
about a re-born MGB roadster!

I bought a '71 B from a lady whose twin 16 year old daughters had driven
the car head on to a curb at 45 mph.  The car sat in her driveway, covered
with a tarp for 2 years afterwards, until her neighbors complained and were
about to have the city tow it away to the crusher.

Here I come into the picture.  I have a vast knowledge of Bs (yeah,
right!); I figured I could fix this one!  After spending $185 at a frame
shop (following my $200 initial purchase), the frame guy says "I'm suprised
how strong this car is...it's really bent under the K member.  Sorry, I
can't fix this one!"

The car went home, engine/trans got transplanted and the car sat and sat.
Finally, I had a revelation!  I cut the car from the "B" post back and made
a trailer out of it!  I can tell you first-hand that the Bs are really
strong, 'cause it took a lot of effort to cut that car in half!

After several months of part-time effort, the Tartan Red MGB trailer was
finished.  It has wire wheels, with a spare mounted up front, a custom
tonneau (formerly was the rear cockpit area), carpeted trunk, new bumper,
three new tires, new tail lights, new trim strips, etc.

We towed the B trailer behind my '67 GT for the last Moss Festival in
Southern Ca about 2 years ago.  It was amazing to see the looks on faces of
people!  Everyone wanted to know where the rest of the car was!  Much to my
pleasure, the B trailer tows perfectly.  I custom made a receiver type
hitch for my GT which works out well, too.  I've always been glad I learned
to weld in H.S. and a good mig welder is worth it's weight in gold!

Maybe this posting will foster creative recycling ideas with other listers!
 I lack the computer savvy (and time) to get a jpg of the trailer on my
website.  But if/when I do, I'll let you all know!

Cheers,
Jim Boyd
International Sportscar Components
Paradise, CA  USA