Re: A couple more questions about my midget

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A couple more questions about my midget
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 12:40:35 -0800
Sounds like the cluch hydraulics have failed. This is not too surprising.
The points of possible failure are the clutch master cylinder, the slave
cylinder, and the flexible hose. In all likelihood you want to
rebuild/replace all three components, since they are probably the same
age and state of deterioration.The good part is that these are not too
expensive, and relatively easy to replace, as they do not require pulling
the engine! (as tearing down the clutch would). Since the fluid level
seems to be stable, perhaps the economical measure would be to replace
just the flex hose at first. Sometimes they swell on the inside and cut
off flow. With a known-good hose, it should be obvious if either of the
other components is not doing its job.

Did you actually observe oil pumping from the dipstick tube while the
engine was running, or was that a deduction? It's possible the base of
the dipstick appears oily merely because it is so difficult to clean in
that area, and the oil source is somewhere else.  You might wrap a clean
rag around it and run the engine for a bit, to observe if fresh oil is
being released. If it is pumping oil out the dipstick tube, then you
might try removing the oil filler cap to see if by releasing the
crankcase pressure that way the pumping stops. Not that this is a
solution, just a diagnostic aid! I'm not familiar with the
smog-controlled engines, so I can't really suggest what steps to take
next, except to ensure that all the hoses and connections are functional
(not blocked).

BOB HILL had this to say:

--

Max Heim