Re: Them squeaky squealy brakes...

To: tab@penworks.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Them squeaky squealy brakes...
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 15:19:20 EST
In a message dated 12/1/99 2:02:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, tab@penworks.com
writes:

<< My mechanic, who unfortunately is deaf to higher frequencies, said based on
 that description there was a sort of no-squeal lubricant that can be
 squirted between the shoe and what it grabs, alternately sometimes filing
 (rounding) the edges of the shoe cuts down on the noise. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No, no, no.  Do not squirt ANYTHING on the surface of the pads or shoes,
except special brake cleaner.  (I now use Hog Wash!)

Squealing drum brakes are caused by brake dust.  Take everything apart and
clean it thoroughly with brake cleaner.  Reassemble.  Make sure the drums are
not scored.  If they are, have them cut and install new shoes.

Disk brakes can squeal if the pad is not sitting tightly on the piston.
There is an anti-squeel compound (I use Permatex) that acts like a glue.  It
does not go on the surface of the pad, but on the back.  Again, cleanliness
is next to non-squealiness, and scored rotors require cutting and new pads.
New hardware (shims, springs, etc.) is also a good idea every few years.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport