Re: Hardtop id

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hardtop id
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 14:41:15 -0800
Well, my SnugTop has a textured finish to the outside of the fiberglass
that is (presumably) intended to resemble a leather-grained vinyl top.
It's black on the outside and white on the inside, with no headliner. The
factory hardtop is smooth on the outside, and is frequently white or
painted to match the body color (according to Clausager they were all
black from the factory after 1966, but I can't recall having seen a black
one not on a black car). Don't know about the inside.

The quarter windows in my SnugTop are set into rubber gaskets, with a
narrow strip of mylar "chrome" trim set into the rubber. The fiberglass
frame is rather thick all around the quarter windows. In the factory top,
the quarter windows have a slim metal frame, which actually forms the
entire front and bottom edge (i.e. the fiberglass color does not extend
below or to the front of the quarter window, as it does in the SnugTop).

In general, the factory top has a lighter, more streamlined appearance.
In my opinion, the SnugTop looks like a refugee from a mid-Seventies
Pontiac. But YMMV...

At any rate, that should be sufficient detail to differentiate them.

Mgbreh@aol.com had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149