Re: Bought a bunch of new Christmas toys!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bought a bunch of new Christmas toys!
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 00:42:33 -0400
>From: Michael J Robson <miker15@juno.com>
>
>On Sun, 19 Dec 1999 20:00:55 -0700 (MST) "Andrew B. Lundgren"
><lundgren@iname.com> writes: ...<<snip>>
>
>> Still to be ordered:  a fuel gauge sender,
>
>Beware of these things - the replacement ones seem to be crap regardless
>of where you get them - i have got through four of them in two years -
>ive given up now and rely on the trip meters!! (250 miles per tank is
>safe!)

Unlike Michael' experience, I installed a new one three years ago and it's
a bit optimistic, but fine.  But I discovered the only problem with the old
one was a leaking float that filled with gas and sank - giving me an "E"
reading all the time.  New floats can be had - and they're cheap.  Same
thing happens to old carb floats by the way - with considerably more
dissasterous consequences!  Moral: carry spares!  I learned that up in
Grand Bend Ontario - 700 miles from home - last summer.

Like Michael, however, for the two summers before I got around to fixing my
gas gauge sender, the trip odometer became my gas gauge - until my speedo
cable (angle drive actually) broke two summers in a row, whence my tach
became my speedo and the interstate mile markers became my gas gauge!
Problem: when I wondered off the interstates (as is my preference) I lost
my gas gauge altogether.  BTW: once I got wise and used an O/D-type speedo
cable (read: "long") (this car doesn't have O/D... yet), I eliminated the
angle drive - which in terms of dollars per pound is probably the most
expensive piece on the whole MGB.

2¢...

Allen

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
        49 YT, 57 ZB, 58 ZB, 65 B, 67 BGT, 73 B, 73BGT, 76 B, &...
         New Castle, VA 24127
         USA
         540/544-7333