Re: a source for OD Transmissions....

To: "Florrie & Allen Bachelder" <bachldrs@swva.net>,
Subject: Re: a source for OD Transmissions....
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:40:28 -0800
Florrie & Allen Bachelder had this to say:

>...BTW, I know I CAN -
>with the judicious application of a hammer - fit a 4-sync O/D box in my '65
>B project car.

Just where is it that one is supposed to "hammer" in this conversion? I
did it, sans hammer, and haven't noticed any interference problems, but I
keep seeing references to "hammering". One does have to saw out the
tunnel top opening about 2 inches towards the rear, to accommodate the
new shifter location. British Automotive sells a handy plastic cover to
deal with this issue. The biggest problem is that now neither variety of
carpet kit fits the tunnel (not that any ever fit the tunnel very well,
anyway). I did a custom tailoring job on mine, using snaps, not glue, so
I could get into the top cover if necessary.

>But, I don't want to lose the real taut feeling of the
>3-sync boxes - which to my mind are a big part of the pleasures of
>metal-dash driving.

Can't say that I've particularly noticed a difference that way. The
4-synchro is a little "notchier", perhaps (but mine, at least, is much
quieter). And for a long-legged driver, the shifter location is a big
improvement -- now it "falls readily to hand", in the classic phrase.
Before, I had to lean forward in the seat to reach 3rd gear. IMO, YMMV...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149