MGB Torque steer.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Torque steer.
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:09:41 -0400
Steve -

First thing to do is tighten the U-bolts clamping the rear axle to the
springs.  REALLY TIGHT.  If you still get torque steer, remove the nuts and
place two-three washers under them and re-TIGHTEN.  Sometimes old U-bolts
stretch and the nuts feel tight because they're at the ends of the threads.
If this fixes the problem, I'd permanently fix it with new U-bolts.  This
fixes 90% of all torque-steer problems in my experience.

Allen

>From: "Steve Murphy" <k8vo@flyingbeers.org>
>
>After getting the wiring on the 77B fixed, I took it for it's first highway
>trip since owning the car... about 150 miles worth.  I noticed that when
>accelorating and/or going through the gears I have to correct the steering
>(slightly) as the drivetrain loads and unloads.  I suspect worn leaf spring
>bushings allowing the rear end to move slightly off axis depending on
>torque... am I on the right track?
>Thanks!
>Steve Murphy
>77 MGB

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
        49 YT, 57 ZB, 58 ZB, 65 B, 67 BGT, 73 B, 73BGT, 76 B, &...
         New Castle, VA 24127
         USA
         540/544-7333