Seeking more TD Piston Advice

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Seeking more TD Piston Advice
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 20:56:04 EST
Does anyone know of a source of 3 ring pistons for the XPAG engine? I ordered
a set of Moss pistons which were advertised as 3 ring, but received four ring
ones. I'd like the three ring ones so I can insert the piston and rod from
the bottom of the block and then install the rings from the top of the block.
The wide end of the rod will only allow the top half of the piston to pop up
above the block. That darn forth ring is on the bottom half. (Thank to Bob
Howard and Terry for the tip about installing the rings from the top.) I'm
the guy trying to install a new set of pistons in without pulling the engine
or the crank. Only one piston is bad, but new ones only come in sets so I
decided to replace them all. Would it be unwise to just leave the bottom oil
ring off?

BTW, can anyone recommend a specific honing tool and ring compressor that
will work for the XPAG engine?

Another BTW, my new Moss pistons have a diagonal slot that runs from the
third ring to the bottom of the piston. This slot goes clear though the wall
of the piston. It's obviously part of the design, but what's it for?

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336