Re: Stud or bolt?

To: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>,
Subject: Re: Stud or bolt?
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 18:17:42 -0800
On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 11:25:56PM -0000, David Hill wrote:

> [...]

Yeah, but if you have to pull the stud from the head each time you pull
the manifold, you're arguably putting  the same wear on the head.  The
difference being that when you screw in a stud it is not under load
the way a bolt is. I suppose that it is theoretically possible to remove
the manifold without pulling the two end studs, but I've never been
able to manage it.

> IMHO, the best combination is steel studs and stainless or brass nuts.

I'm using steel studs, with anti-seize compound on the end going into the
head and brass nuts on the outside.  I've played the stuck stud game before.

--
Sasquatch singing telegrams; for when you care enough to send the furry beast.
lrc@red4est.com                                 http://www.red4est.com/lrc