Re: what is this car ?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: what is this car ?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 08:40:34 -0800
The radiator shell design doesn't match the photos of Singers, Rileys,
Alvises, Lea-Francises,  Lanchesters, or Hillmans in my Catalog of
Imported Cars, 1946-1990, although it doesn't cover these marques very
thoroughly. It might possibly be a Humber, though none of the ones shown
are quite that archaic. The peaked bonnet is very un-MG-like, at any
rate. From the clumsy way the wings join the front valance, either it has
been bodged or the coachwork is some kind of amateur "one-off". Looking
closely, one can see that is has in all likelihood been cut down from a
coupe, and was not originally a drophead. The raised section of the boot
with the spare tire well also looks suspicious. Add to that the
abnormally large headlights, and I am tempted to conclude that, whatever
it began life as, it has been severely modified. The only authentic
pieces would seem to be the rear wings, doors, and running boards.

But I could be wrong, and it merely shows the signs of age and poor
repair work. But then, what is it? Maybe we're barking up the wrong tree
and it's some kind of French or Czechoslovakian marque...

Sam Perera had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149