Re: Headgaskets

To: "Joe Short" <buster_balz@operamail.com>,
Subject: Re: Headgaskets
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 10:26:09 -0500
I recently installed a copper gasket in my Midget.
Well,... I don't believe it's one thick piece of copper or anything,
It looked and felt more like thin copper sheets on both sides of a
fiber gasket.
I had to replace the gasket because the oil and water
galleries were bleeding into each other even though compression
was very good on all cylinders on the Midget I just purchased.
Before putting it in, I masked off the cylinder bores, and all
the water and oil ports in the block and the head, and sprayed
the block, head, and both sides of the gasket with Permatex
spray on copper sealant. This stuff is fairly thick for a spray
and very sticky. It has heavy copper particles suspended in it.

The only down side of the copper gasket I can say I've noticed...
is it's thicker, which reduced my compression from 175 psi to around 150.
and I had to adjust all the valves just about the same amount.

Paul Tegler
OBie - '73 BGT - Daily Driver
http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/ob_description.htm
Rat -'80 Spitfire  - fledgling recently left the nest
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit80.htm
Punkin' - '78 Spitfire - in Superb Shape!
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit78.htm
Lil' Greenee - '73 RWA Midget - finally home
http://www.teglerizer.com/midgetstuff/index.html
email: wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com