RE. Midgets and Sprites

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE. Midgets and Sprites
From: Dan Dwelley <ddwelley@excite.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 06:03:42 -0800 (PST)
Hmmm. I'd still like to see that setup! Capable of close to 120? For how
long and how many times.Once? :o)
It was a smaller engine but the stresses on the mains must have been
terrible.

Dan Dwelley
77 Midget
Alexandria, Va.

>  Dan,
>    A four cylinder engine with only two main bearings can, actually,
>  operate pretty well. MG used only two bearings on four cylinder engines
>  on a number of models.  I think the PA was the first Midget engine to get

>  three mains, so the J, D and M cars had only two.
>    According to J. Wherry, in his book The MG Story, the J4 was said to
>  have been capable of close to 120 mph, in 1933, with 750cc supercharged.
>  However, I can find no reference in his book to any extended warranty
>  programs for the engines.
>  Bob

Visit Excite Shopping at http://shopping.excite.com
 The fastest way to find your Holiday gift this season