Re: Steady oil pressure?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steady oil pressure?
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 22:59:06 -0400
I think I remember factory specs say it's OK to drop to 15-25# on hot idle,
but even after a long, hard run inhot weather on the interstates, in my
experience a B engine in reasonably good condition will hold more like 45#
on idle.  As long as it stays over 50# at 3000-3500 rpm, your engine is
probably in good shape.  I sure wouldn't worry about it.  My '76 still
holds close to 70# at that rpm (it's hard to read the gauge very
accurately),  but my '73 and '73 GT seem to stay around 55# - and they're
much newer engines.

Allen

>From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
>
>At 07:03 PM 1/15/00 -0500, Tab Julius wrote:
>>....  As far as I can tell, my oil pressure seems to be a steady 55-ish
>all the time, idle or no idle.  Is this normal on a 78B, or is something
>wrong? ....
>
>[Limited education mode]
>As far as I know, more than 40 psi at hot idle (after an expressway run) on
>any MG would be abnormal, unless it had been "tinkered with".  Anything
>over 20 psi is enough to get plenty of oil through the engine at idle, as
>long as the pressure comes up quickly with engine speed.

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         49 YT, 57 ZB, 58 ZB, 65 B, 67 BGT, 73 B, 73BGT, 76 B, &...
         New Castle, VA 24127
         USA
         540/544-7333