RE: Buying a 1500 engine for a Midget (Warning)

To: Dan Dwelley <ddwelley@excite.com>
Subject: RE: Buying a 1500 engine for a Midget (Warning)
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 10:18:57 -0800
Dan:

        Sorry to hear you got burn't.  Unfortunately thrust failure is very
common in the 1500 Triumph derived engine.  When searching for a used
component, assume that the thrust surfaces and rods are damaged.  Have the
seller prove that they are not, before purchase.

        When running a this engine, make sure that the thrust is checked on
a regular basis.  Replacing the thrust washers and rod bearings before they
are badly worn is relatively cheap insurance.

Kelvin.