Re: Extracting rusted pistons

To: Adam Arabian <arabian@allegronet.com>
Subject: Re: Extracting rusted pistons
From: John Vallely <code5@banet.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 19:47:22 -0500
Adam--
Had a similar problem with my mga engine. I got 2 or 3 pistons out by using
a bolt of firewood (elm resists splitting when you hit it) and a 3# hammer.
You usually have to drive them down because there's often a ridge around the
top that will stop the rings. However, 1 or 2 pistons (I've repressed the
memory) wouldn't travel down. I drove them up 'till the rings hit the ridge.
Then--and this was the key--I scraped the scale of rust off the exposed
cylinder wall below the piston skirt. That layer of scale had stopped the
rings just the way the ridge at the top does. I think I used the round end
of an old hacksaw blade and lots of solvent. That enlarged the cylnder
diameter and allowed the pistons to be driven down and out.
Have fun and don't hit your finger.
John Vallely
'58 mga