Re: GT Chrome

To: mgb1964@cois.on.ca, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT Chrome
From: JTPAKI@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 13:48:43 EST
Bruce

I replaced all the aluminum on my 73 GT.  Ray is right, cut gasket to get the
glass and bits out.  I got replacement aluminum bits from Moss, and the
quality was quite good.  My originals had so many nicks and sratches and
dents, that is was unuable.  The windscreen glass and the back hatch glass
are quite difficult to get back in correctly without damaging the metal
strips or the rubber gasket.  The correct tool is very neccessary.

I replaced my glass and gasket in the windscreen and gasket only in the
hatch.  I got new screen glass from NOS locators.  They advertise in hemmings
in the British sections.  It came with a new gasket.  All very good quality.
Scrap the old rubber seal, it wont be worth saving.  Also when you put it
back together use the sealant that the glass shops use on the body to glass
and rubber to glass mating surrfaces.  It does not harden or gel.

To get to the door metal strips, you have to first remove the door panel and
it should become evident the secquence neccessary to get it apart.  The door
and the wing window are a bit complex, so take some pictures.  There are five
points that hold in the wing window, so find them all or it will not come
out.  (I assume you are taking it all apart)

Joe Potter