Re: Shipping MGB from MO to FL

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shipping MGB from MO to FL
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 13:55:20 -0500
On Wed, 2 Feb 2000 FlynShoot@aol.com wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or experiences with shipping a car. I
> am interested in the costs, timeframe, security, and specific carriers.

  I have shipped two cars, both with good results.

  I shipped my XKE from California to here in Ottawa, Canada, about
45 mins north of New York State.

  The carrier I called ended up subcontracting out the work, but the
drivers were very professional at both ends. The car went by truck
from California to Vancouver (due north) then by rail from Vancouver
to here in Ottawa (due east). I picked it up at my local customs
depot, but within the US it would go right to your door.

  Cost was $1800 CDN (about $1200US). The car arrived clean and
without a scratch, they used the seat condoms and foot guards
to keep boot marks out.

  The second use was to ship my 70 MGB from here in Ottawa to
Germany. (the MGB that I posted on the list about a year ago,
the one with aeroscreens and such). I beleive it was around $1400 CDN,
and involved a carrier trip to Halifax, and then an ocean trip to
Germany.

  This carrier was excellent as well, although they STRONGLY
warned not to have anything on the car that was removable or
sitting in the car or it would likely get stolen. Their words
were to the effect that "we have little control over what goes
on at the docks".

  Nothing got stolen either time though.

  All in all, I was satisfied both times.

--