Re: Carbs and radiator

To: mikhail22@hotmail.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carbs and radiator
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 11:07:41 EST
In a message dated 2/7/00 11:50:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mikhail22@hotmail.com writes:

<< I have a question for you all...actually two.  I am new to the list and
 wanted to inquire first of all about the radiator in my 1973 MG Midget.  It
 has been a problem since I purchased the vehicle.  I am replacing it soon
 but has anyone else found a problem with their british-mobile overheating
 constantly with no signs of leakage and full on it's fluids??  >>

If there is no leakage from the radiator, it probably has a blockage
somewhere.  Let the car cool overnight.  Start the engine and let it heat
up for just a few minutes, until the thermostat opens.  Feel the radiator at
different spots to see if it is evenly warm.  If you have cool spots and hot
spots, there is no coolant getting to the cool spots and the radiator can
be cleaned (rodded) at a radiator shop.

NOTE: Be careful of the fan when doing this.  If you can't reach the front
of the radiator, shut the engine off before feeling it up.

Other possibilities for overheating are a stuck thermostat, which probably
needs to be changed anyway.  A blockage inside the engine.  (Bad news.)
Or possibly too much antifreeze in the coolant.  Use mostly water, which
is the best coolant, and a minimum of antifreeze.  If you live in a warm
climate, just use water and a bit of Red Line Water Wetter for the best
coolant, and change it every year.

<<  Next question
 is regarding carbs.  Someone converted mine from the twins and I was
 wondering what everyone's opinion is about webers/conversion.  In better
 words-do you all think I should leave well alone or convert it back to the
 same little beauty it was born as.  >>

I have a Midget 1500 with a Weber DGV.  I hear that it is MUCH better than
the Zenith Stromberg that came on the engine.  I have had no problems.
(Yet.)
The twin SU carbs on the 1275 engines are very good, if they are in good
condition
and properly adjusted.  If the Weber is working, spend some time on the rest
of the car.  Sometime down the road, you can always switch back.

BTW, I have some instruction sheets from the Weber DGV carb if you need any
reference material.  Let me know and I'll e-mail it.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport