Re: wheel bearings

To: <NICKLEST@uwplatt.edu>, <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wheel bearings
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 17:07:20 -0000
"A very little bit", if it is between .002 and .004 in., is the correct
end-float according to the Leyland Workshop Manual.  Make sure it is not
play in the swivel hubs, though.  Tha manual describes the use of a dial
gauge to measure and set the end-float but it can also be done by juggling
with shims.  Keep juggling different combinations of sizes (they come in
.003, .005 and .010 in.) until the thinnest shim is the difference between
detectable play and no detectable play, then put the .003 shim back in.  Do
this with dry bearings first as it is less messy, then grease the bearings,
packing grease from one side only until it comes out the other side.  The
hub nut should then be tightened to 40 lb. ft., then tightened further until
a slot in the nut lines up with the hole in the stub-axle, which should
occur before 70 lb. ft.

PaulH.