Re: Battery Size information needed-re cutoff switch

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Battery Size information needed-re cutoff switch
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 11:02:46 -0700

>My old 67 MGB/GT (parts car) had 2 cigar lighters (!) and a stock
>chrome-lid ashtray (but perhaps from a later year....?)  One of the cigar
>lighters was on the dash, and the other was in the center console.  I
>always suspected that the dash one was not original....
>

>Tony Woodruff

This is interesting because my 67 BGT is exactly the same way. I figured
the dash cigarette lighter was original (and it still works!). But I was
suspicious of the center console with its ashtray and cigarette lighter. I
thought the console wasn't part of the MGBs until the early 70s.  Maybe I'm
wrong and it is part of the original car??

I was going to pull the console out, thinking it didn't really belong. But
the DPO couldn't get the carpet to fit over the center tunnel so he had a
big cut through it. So I ended up leaving the console in. Its a little
better looking than the plastic one that came with my 71BGT.

On a related subject, does anyone know what it takes to be a "1967 MGB GT
Special"? I noticed in the Jan/Feb isue of the MGB Driver that I received
yesterday that the NAMBGR maintains a 1967 MGB GT Special Registrar. Just
wanted to know if my car might qualify. Its close to original condition
with a few notable exceptions like the aftermarket mirrors that I will
probably replace when I get the body repainted.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT