Re: Pre-Tranny rebuilding questions..

To: Lundgren@iname.com
Subject: Re: Pre-Tranny rebuilding questions..
From: mgraziano@mindspring.com
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:27:33 -0500
To change the syncros,  the entire shaft needs to be pulled (the entire tranny
needs to be disassembled including lay gears and input shaft).  We went through
2 B trannies last month at a tech session, an early one and a later one.  Both
with overdrives.  It\'s not simple,  but not complicated either.  If you
painstakingly document where EVERYTHING goes AND HOW IT FITS, then it\'s
possible to do a good job on your own.  I\'d replace anything you think may be
worn, especially bearings, while you\'re there.

I haven\'t done it by myself,  but it was a hands on session and I can say that
I will personally leave it to the experts (and did).

Good luck.

Michael

\"Andrew B. Lundgren\" <Lundgren@iname.com> wrote:
> I picked up a hammered GT a few days ago.  I put temp tags on it an insured
>it for about a month and a half to learn about what I bought before I strip it
>down.

The tranny grinds a tinny bit when going form second to third.  A neighbor
suggested that this may be the synco is worn out.

How hard is it to go though the tranny?  On my \"keeper\" B I have done the
clutchs myself, replaced the head, the cam shaft, rebuilt the breaks...  Is the
tranny on par with the rest of the things I have done?

Thanks!

Andrew Lundgren
(looking forward to putting some new life (and 2 more speeds) into my B.