Battery Not Charging

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Battery Not Charging
From: FlynShoot@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 18:58:59 EST
I had my alternator rebuilt, but my battery keeps running down after I drive
the car. I think that the alternator is not charging the battery or providing
enough current to fire the ignition causing the battery to do all of the work.

Here are the symptoms:

1. I charge battery and it holds a charge.
2. Car starts.
3. I drive around.
4. After two or three stops and restarts, battery dead.
5. I jump start and car runs fine.
6. I get home and charge the battery again.
7. At no point does the ignition light come on.
8. The car may have a ground problem that occurred when the engine was
replaced.
9. I added an additional grounding strap that made absolutely no difference.
10. The heater cable seems to be energized so is disconnected and taped off.
11. When the turn signals are used, tach jumps around wildly depending on if
indicator is flashing and car is at idle. At speed, tach is steady with
indicator flashing.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, the car is no longer for sale. After reconsideration and many notes
saying that I would regret it later, I have decided to keep it. And she shows
me her gratitude by with this problem. MGB's are cruel mistresses.

DC Smith
Flynshoot@aol.com