RE: Battery Not Charging

To: <FlynShoot@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Battery Not Charging
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 22:40:01 -0700
Use a volt meter to check voltage.  There should be a
different voltage at the battery when the car is on, and
when it is off.  A good battery should be about 12.5 volts
when the car is not running.  Over 13 when the car is
running.

If the battery is less than 12.5 volts you might want to buy
a new battery (a better test for the battery is done with a
load tester or a hydrometer, but that's another lesson).  If
the voltage doesn't go up when the car is started then you
may have alternator problems.

If the above doesn't prove to be the problem you might want
to look for a drain on the battery.

Leave the car off and the key out of the ignition.
Disconnect the one battery terminal and run a test light in
series with the battery, the light should not light up.  If
it does something is running and it shouldn't be.

By the way, it doesn't take much battery to run an MGB, it
does take a good battery to start any car.  One of the
things I found when I had alternator problems is I could run
my car for a couple of days before it wouldn't start.  If I
suspected I was having a problem if I honked the horn and it
worked I could probably start the car.  If the horn wouldn't
honk, I didn't shut the car off until I got home (or parked
on a hill!).

Good luck.

Larry Hoy