Helpful Tip?

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Helpful Tip?
From: grhacker@wfl.fha.dot.gov (Gary R Hacker)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:42:46 -0800
I don't contribute very often because my knowledge, skills and abilities
are limited.  I did just finish one job on my 75 roadster that many of
you might be contemplating but are hesitating on because of the unknown
complexity of it.  That is, replacing the rubber weather seal on the
door that keeps water from running down the window and into the door.  I
had read somewhere that you could pull the door trim, arm rest and
window crank, loosen two screws in the middle bottom of the door and
that would allow the window assembly to drop far enough down that the
rivets could be drilled out and the seal replaced and re-revited.  On my
75, this was not the case.  The window stop is an L shaped bracket that
is spot welded to the inside of the door panel and to the bottom of the
door.  After reviewing all my manuals and VB and Moss catalogs, I
decided I did not want to try to pull the window glass out to do this
job.  I decided I would drill out the spot welds and then bend the
bracket back to get the clearance I needed.  That didn't work.  I gently
tried to break the bracket loose from the side of the door, but it
wouldn't budge.  Inspiration than lead me to my small ballpin hammer.
Or was it frustration?  Three sharp raps and lo and behold.  Enough
clearance to get the job done.  After I replaced the seal, a long
handled screwdriver allowed me to lever the bracket to it's original
position.  This isn't for the faint of heart, but I did no damage to
anything but the bracket and that only for a little while.  I am looking
forward to Saturday and doing the other side.  Hope this helps someone
else.

Bob Hacker
75 MGB