Re: 3 point seatbelts

To: bart@cs.washington.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 3 point seatbelts
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:14:22 EST
In a message dated 2/23/00 7:50:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bart@cs.washington.edu writes:

<< Howdy -- I am looking to put 3 point seatbelts back into my 74.5 RBB.
 Some PO felt there was a back seat and therefore there should be three
 lap belts (two front, one rear) -- but I disagree.

 I am a bit loathe to pay the ~$150 for new, so am wondering if anyone
 has used ones in decent shape - or a source with a better price.  Also
 -- am I a fool to buy used safety belts?  Is it like buying used brake
 pads? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'd strongly recommend NOT buying used belts.  You really don't know the
history of them.  If they sat in a boneyard for a few years, baking in the
sun, they are probably worthless.  Chemical contamination can also reduce
their strength, and you wouldn't know if that happened.

Just as I don't recommend buying a $10 helmet, don't buy used seat belts.
The life you save may be an LBC owner's.

Look around.  There are loads of DOT approved seat belts available.  Try J.C.
Whitney.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget