Re: Difficulty of replacing starter?

To: Derek Vandivere <dersk@usa.net>
Subject: Re: Difficulty of replacing starter?
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:38:59 -0500
Derek,

This is a simple job to complete. Buy the new starter motor with the solenoid
pre-assembled. Otherwise, if it is defective, they'll blame it on the part you
didn't buy. In a nut shell:
Follow the Haynes Manual
Disconnect your battery
Disconnect the two wire bundles from the starter assembly
Remove two bolts securing the starter to the bell housing
Degrease your hands
Reassemble in reverse order
No adjustments necessary

I have always felt this job is easier to do from below, but some MG'ers like to
be on top. Remember, the starter assembly is sorta-kinda heavy. It will be nice
to have a buddy there to lend a hand. Be careful not to cross thread any bolts
into the aluminum bell housing. Support the car safely if working under it. (You
could drive the right tires onto a curb; that will give you plenty of working
clearance).

You can do it. Good Luck!

Jim