Re: New Carpet

To: <1979mgb@vixa.voyager.net>
Subject: Re: New Carpet
From: "Truxtun Southworth" <tsouthworth@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 17:59:00 -0500
It's not really a tough job, my wife and I installed carpets in our 96 B
over a weekend one summer.  Start with collecting the tools, you should need
a couple of scewdrivers, flat and phillips, some spray on carpet adhesive,
masking tape to protect against over spray, some carpet cleaner for the
mess, razor knife and a pair of scissors.

Start by removing the seats, console, arm rest and old carpet, also the heat
insulation material, which must be replaced also.
Sand and paint the bare floor. We laid out the new carpet first just to make
sure we could identify each piece.  Install the carpet one side at a time
without any adhesive to check for fit.  Start with the door sills, first one
side then the other.   Same with the wheel archs, quarter panels, rear deck,
in that order- first one side then the other. Next the the gear box tunnel.
The last section should be the floor mats which need snaps, no glue.  You
may need to them cut for seat spacers and the seat belt warning wire.

The adhesive should always be tacky before you lay down the new carpet.
Don't worry you will have at least 15 minutes to postion it before it drys .
I doubt the snaps will be installed so that's another chore, use chalk to
mark the back of the carpet and trim away some of the backing before
attempting to push in the snap.  You will also have to trim out for the gear
shift on the tunnel carpet.  Start with a small X cut and fit it over the
shifter.

I guess that's it.
Good Luck,
Tuck Southworth