Smells like a gas leak

To: MG CHAT LIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Smells like a gas leak
From: "Michael Torrusio" <mtorrusi@maine.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 15:55:04 -0800
    I have yet a third annoying problem with my 71B.
At highway speeds, when the fuel level is at least  at the 3/4 level
(although it occurs more frequently at around the 1/2 level,) the B's
interior suddenly fills with an extraordinarily strong smell of raw
gasoline.
I stop the car and look at everything (except the fuel pump), sniff
everywhere AND nothing is wrong.  No leaks, no drips, in fact no smell.
Start up and get up to 35-4,000 rpm's and there it is again.  The smell
lingers for perhaps ten-fifteen minutes and disappears.
My highway gas mileage is around 29 mpg, and has been consistent, so I
really don't think I have a leak, but boy, does it ever smell.
Not all the time either.  I can go through two tanks of fuel without any
odor, the WHAM it's back.

I do have what is called an emission control system, which I do not yet
fully understand, and which my mechanic says is most likely not working.
The system starts in the trunk (boot) with a metal device on the right side
that looks like an old-fashioned hair dryer.  Under the hood (bonnet) also
on the right side is a round black cylinder, the bottom half of which, I
understand is a charcoal filter.  Somehow, this black devise, using engine
vacuum, I believe, gathers gas fumes and cleans it by passing it through the
charcoal.  The pictures I've seen of the system however, shows a hose going
to the valve cover.  I have an aluminum cover and so, there is no such hose.

I only mention this control system, because it may have relevance to the
smell issue.  The again, it may be a red herring.
Any idea what's causing the problem?
--
Ciao.

Mike.