Re: Quantity of Plywood

To: Neil Cotty <neilc@apphosting.com>
Subject: Re: Quantity of Plywood
From: John Vallely <code5@banet.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:00:34 -0500
Neil--
I started with a 4x8 sheet and had plenty left.
Marine grade glue is made for continuous submersion. Exterior grade will
withstand periodic soaking as long as it gets to dry.
In the Northeast US I can get 1/4" lauan mahogany ext grade for about $12.00
(twelve) a sheet.
If you use a softwood, without knots, I'm sure you can seal it's edges and
surfaces more effectively with modern products than were around in the '50's.
The original boards were mahogany because that wood resists rot better than
most. My toe and heel boards, 40+ years later, were as sound as when new. They
are sloped so water doesn't pool up on them and sit there as it does on the flat
ones.
I really think that marine grade for floorboards is overkill, though obviously
it's a question of what an individual is comfortable with.
John V.