Re: Side fill OD in earlier B?

To: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: Side fill OD in earlier B?
From: "John H. Reynolds" <johnr@mail.nwmissouri.edu>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 16:51:31 -0600
Charley,

The LH type overdrives are the same and should physically fit your MGB,
however there are some differences you should know about:

1.  You already know that they are filled differently <grin>.
2.  The side-fill O/D only gives you Overdrive in 4th, not 3rd and 4th as
in the top fill LH type O/D.
3.  The speedo pinion and gear have to be changed OR you have to change
your speedometer to match them.  In your B, I believe you have a choice
of 1000 tick per mile (late O/D calibration) or 1280 tick per mile
(early) speedo's that will fit your dash; in my late 1979, I would have
to change the speedo pinion and gear on a top fill O/D since I only have
one choice of speedo that fits my dash.  Also, the speedo pinion and gear
are NOT the same as in the 4-speed gearbox, so you will have to buy new
or get a set from a tranny rebuilder who has spare parts.

I almost put an early top-fill in my 79 but didn't really want to spend
the $100+ on the extra pinion and gear, so I waited, found a side-fill,
and then sold the top-fill to a guy who needed an early one.  We both
were happy campers and we kept Moss/VB from getting extra money from
either one of us <grin>!

John Reynolds
79 B (in restoration)