Non-Functioning Temperature Gauge

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Non-Functioning Temperature Gauge
From: Dan DiBiase <dibiase@home.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 13:31:39 -0500
My 76 B Roadster has a non-functioning temp gauge. In investigating
this, I noticed that the sending unit in the engine has 2 wires coming
out of it, both green. One wire goes into a bundle headed who knows
where, and the second has a female connector on it and is currently NOT
connected to anything else. My car has had all of the pollution controls
removed by the PO, so not sure if this extra wire was hooked into that
somehow..?

My questions - could the second wire have anything to do with the
malfunctioning gauge? Should I replace the sending unit to determine
whether that is the cause for the problem?

TIA...

Dan D
Dayton , NJ
76 Brooklands Green B Roadster