Re: SU disassembly

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU disassembly
From: Mgbbob@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 21:30:18 EST
In a message dated 3/6/00 9:58:36 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< A couple of questions about HS2 carbs:

 Should the "AN" needle be completely smooth along its entire length, or
 should the top 1/2" of it be larger where it mounts to the piston?

The needle is usually tapered until it meets the piston shaft...usually
defined by a step to a cylindrical portion. Assemble the needle so that it
sits flush with the piston bottom.....use a straight edge as it may be
difficult to judge.

 Where does the needle usually wear?

They usually wear in the bottom 1/2 or so.

 When reinstalling the needle, should it go all of the way into the piston,
 or should the ridge on the upper part be flush with the bottom of the
 piston?

Assemble it flush with the bottom of the piston.

 Is "AN" the normal mixture needle?

I think the AN needles came with my rebuild kit.....I don't have a mixture
chart handy though.

And when reassembling, how do I split the screws that hold the throttle
 plate in place?

Did you get new split screws with a rebuild kit? They just provide a little
tension against vibration. Just fold them over with a screwdriver.

 Which way does the bevel go on the throttle plate?

The throttle plate assembles one way only.......so the bevelled edge is flush
with the intake when closed. Make sure you "float" the plate before you
tighten the screws

Good luck

Bob Stahlbush
66 MGB GHN3L 78708