Re: Intermittent wire wheel vibration

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Intermittent wire wheel vibration
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 05:30:17 +0610
DOUGLAS_RUSSELL@nyc.yr.com wrote:

> Same symptom on my C roadster - 60mph vibration, 70 mph no
> vibration. Didn't really think it was problem though because 60 MPH
> is a speed a C only passes through while accelerating or slowing
> down.

Ha!

Nearly every car I have owned has had wheel vibration at some speed but
unless the "band" (range of speeds) was wide or the vibration was a real
shudder, or if the vibration speed was at a usual cruising speed so it
was difficult to escape... I rarely ever did anything about it.

Usually it is simply a case of balancing the wheels but mis-alignment
could cause this.

Amazingly enough when I took the 'B out for a test drive with the
(boring) Rostyles on after removing the wires the other day... woohoo, I
couldn't find a vibration point/speed.  It felt super 'solid' right up
to 80mph (the wires 'vibrated' at between 55 and almost 60mph - but only
enough to notice it, not enough to really annoy me).

Eric
'68MGB MkII