Re: Wheels and Tires for 64 B

To: "Jonathan Lawrence" <jonl@maceng.com>, "mg list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheels and Tires for 64 B
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 20:46:12 -0600
At 2:59 PM -0800 3/16/00, Jonathan Lawrence wrote:
>I am seeking advice on wheels and tires for my 64 B which I am planning on
>autocrossing this summer.  I recently switched from wires wheels to discs
>(thanks for the advice Barney) and am know trying to determine what tires
>and wheels to fit.  I am hoping that someone may have already been down this
>road and could save me from potentially expensive mistakes.  Does anyone
>know how much clearance is required between the tires and the wheel arch to
>allow for lateral suspension flex when cornering hard ?
>
>I would like to go to a 15 inch rim but I can not find R-rated tires less
>than 205 mm wide - which I think is too wide for the car.  Therefore, it
>looks like I will stick with 14 inch rims where I can 185 and 195 mm tires
>no problem.  Does anyone know what wheel offsets would work with these size
>of tires ?
>
>Thanks for any input.
>Jonathan Lawrence
>64 MGB Roadster

We run 15" minilite replicas (from Moss, but they all sell them) shod
in Dunlap D60A2 185/65 tires.  We have had no trouble with rubbing
except for one spot where a repair was made on the right rear fender.
(That incident was one of the factors that made me determine to do my
own bodywork). I would recommend them to anyone.
--
Bob Shaw
Check out Shaw's Garage at http://www.mlcltd.com/shawsgarage/