Vent window seals

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Vent window seals
From: Bob Holton <bholton@golden.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 17:08:57 -0500
Greetings from Southern Ontario,

I've replaced the inside seals for the vent windows.  They fit well, but
now that they are in, they are coated with a wax like substance that was
not there ( at least in this state ) when I did the deed. It seemed to form
as I installed the seals into the grooves.  I've tried soft plastic brush
wet & dry, 2000 grit wet & dry, wet rag with dish soap, the sudge remains.
What the hell is this stuff.  I want to believe it's lube used in
manufacture of said seals, am I close?  Anyone got an idea on a non
destructive method for removal.  I'm wide open to suggestions.

While on the subject of seals, I would like to change the seals on the wind
screen post, the one between vent window frame and post.  Is it possible to
do with the screen ass'y. in place or should it be done with the screen
disassembled (not my first choice).  I tried a few light tugs on the top of
the seal and it did not seem eager to come out, I've learned the hard way
not to reef when you have'nt a clue on how something works.

Thanks in advance for what ever help you can give.

Regards,

Bob Holton
bh

"A closed mouth gathers no feet"  Anon.