Re: MG - what's in a name?

To: drded@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: MG - what's in a name?
From: David C Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 17:17:20 -0600

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 18:12:26 -0500 "David Deutsch" <drded@ix.netcom.com>
writes:
> "The return of the MG" What is everybody talking about? Sounds to me
> like
> some of you are looking for an excuse to toss  your classic and buy
> a new
> car both still maintain your "MG Enthusiast" status.
>
> My first four cars were 1963 Galaxies followed shortly by a 63 Merc
> Monterey
> (it was so long ago I can't even remember how to spell it). I'm
> certainly
> not, nor have I ever been a "Ford Enthusiast". There was just
> something
> about those 63s that I loved. Can I recapture that feeling by
> getting back
> into a 2000 Crown Vic? I DON'T THINK SO !

You make a good point, David.  However, there are a few reasons why the
success of MG in the U.S. and/or overseas is important to those of us
that own the old stuff.

Firstly, a successful MG marque, particularly in the U.S., helps keep the
name alive and interest in the old cars going.  Hell, if you are under
the age of 30 in this country you probably never even heard of MG unless
your parents have one!  I don't know about you, but some day I will
probably have to sell my cars and it sure would be nice for my retirement
plans to be able to get some money back out of them!  More importantly, a
new car will keep the heritage alive and revive interest in the old ones,
which means better support, more parts, etc.  Jaguar of North America
makes a substantial contribution to the vintage Jag scene in the U.S.,
for example.

Secondly, there are some of us that really would like to buy a new car
that has the MG badge because we _are_ enthusiasts!  I can't count the
number of Houston MG Car Club members that own Miatas that would have
bought a new MG had they had the chance.  And no, they wouldn't have
"tossed" their classics, any more than they did when they bought the
Miatas!

Thirdly, haven't you noticed the increased availability of neat MG stuff
since the MGF came out?  Check out Jeff Zorn's website at www.lbcarco.com
for a pretty wide range of MG watches.  That kind of thing just wasn't
available before.  A small thing, perhaps, but pretty cool if you are an
enthusiast.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII