Re: First time user looking for advise

To: Judy Brennan <judy_brennan@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: First time user looking for advise
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@home.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 10:10:32 -0800

Judy Brennan wrote:

> Hello to everyone!
>
> I have just subscribed to the list & I am amazed by the amount of mail I
> have!

        Hi Judy, weclome to the slightly insane asylum. :-) This list has been
keeping me amused for years. I think you'll enjoy it. Be prepared for
lots of e-mail when anyone brings up the following topics:

        Which oil should I use?
        Which sparking plugs are best?
        What brand and model of air compressor should I buy?
        Which MIG welder should I buy?
        What kind of cat should I use for a wheel chock?

> I have owned a 77 mgb for the past 12 years and am sorry to say it has been
> neglected.  It is due for a major overhaul.

        Before you start any major work, I'd suggest taking stock of your MG.
There is a great checklist at ftp://ftp.team.net/sol/chklist.txt  Take
that list and go through your car.

> I am an extreme novice.  Can anyone recommend a good reference manual?

        The Haynes manual for the MGB is good, at least for the earlier models.
I also have the Official MGB Workshop manual which is a good reference
for stuff which isn't clear in the Haynes manual.  One caution about the
factory manual; they often call out special tools you don't really need.
Haynes will often have a different procedure that is more suited to the
home mechanic.

        Someone already mentioned the Moss  and VB catalogues. The
illustrations in the Moss catalog are invaluable. I'd also recommend
getting the Roadster Factory catalog. That one is taken straight from
the Factory parts catalog and is a good reference in its own right.

        I'd also recommend one of those nice coffee table books of MG's to
provide inspiration in times of frustration.

        How are you set for tools?

        You should have a good 3/8 drive ratchet and socket set with a few
extensions, and maybe a universal joint. You'll also need a spark plug
socket. You should definitely have top quality phillips screwdrivers. I
bought a set of Proto's <mumble> years ago when I had a motorcycle and
they have saved me countless hours of frustration with stripped out
screws. You'll also need regular screwdrivers, a feeler gauge and a
small assortment of pliers; regular, needle nose, and channel-locks. A
decent supply of rags, ratty clothes, and some mechanic's hand cleaner
will get you all set up.

        You can get other tools as the need arises, but the above set should
get you started.

        Let us not forget beer. This is also known as British Car Assembly
Fluid(tm). There are various favorites. Almost all decent brews seem to
work well. In fact, this topic probably belongs in the above list of
traffic generators. <oh nooo>

        Rebuilding an MG is an adventure. Tackling any job for the first time
can be difficult. The second time is easier, and subsequent times are no
trouble. You just have to keep trying. As with many things, planning is
key. Figuring out the needed steps and the necessary tools will make the
job much easier, despite unexpected problems.

        There is a ton(ne) of good advice available on this list, and an
abiding sense that ignorance is not a sin.

        Good luck with your car, and keep us posted.

        Best Regards,
        Dave Ambrose