Re: English to American

To: mgbob@juno.com
Subject: Re: English to American
From: David C Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:49:37 -0600
A plinth is any sort of base, and usually refers to a base that stands up
a bit to hold something else.  For example, my MGA MkII has its
taillights mounted on a plinth.  The plinth is the metal housing that
bolts onto the rear apron.  I don't think you can equate a plinth and a
bezel, really.  Although your example of the tail lamp on a T-series car
is accurate if you mean the chromed portion of the later round-lamp
models.

Here is the WWWebster definition, although it is not really all that
helpful.

Main Entry: plinth
Pronunciation: 'plin(t)th
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin plinthus, from Greek plinthos
Date: 1601
1 a : the lowest member of a base : SUBBASE b : a block upon which the
moldings of an architrave or trim are stopped at the bottom
2 : a usually square block serving as a base; broadly : any of various
bases or lower parts -- see BASE illustration
3 : a course of stones forming a continuous foundation or base course

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD