Rollbars

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rollbars
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 08:32:53 -0800
All,

Rollbars for street cars.  According to one well known MG source,
all of the crashed MG's he's inspected with simple bolt in street
roll bars had the bars ripped out during the roll over.

I do have one in my street/autox car.  I have plans to remove it and
install a different structure.  A taller roll bar, with side impact bars,
similar to the roll cage used in the amazing Grassroots Motorsports
RX-7 powered Spitfire.  I'll end up, like them, using the roll bar
as the rear support for the soft top.  Not an option for most people.
The side impact bars are what I really want, IMHO strengthening that part
of the car is probably the most critical for street use, and again,
not an option for most.

If you do choose to use a street roll bar, use correct backing plates,
and quality fasteners.

Oh, on the 2" above the head rule:  I'm only 5'6", that helps.  :/

In other news, our new rally car was deposited at my co-driver's place
Saturday.  It's going to be an exciting project.  BRG B GT.  When the
roll cage is in place, I'll put some pictures on the web.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.TeamSanctuary.com/