Re: Aluminum Bonnet

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Aluminum Bonnet
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 12:29:58 +0000
The only problem I have had with my aluminimum (yep, that is the way we
spell it and say it here:-) bonnet has been when I have had it raised.

Once stopped by the side of the road (amazingly enough) I went around to
the back of the car and a decent gust of wind caught the bonnet and
tried to wrap it over the windscreen.  I noted to myself that I should
never park, stop, break-down facing into the wind.

Next time it happened I managed to catch it in time but it made me
resolve to devise some sort of a "catch-strap" to stop it flopping over
backwards.

The hinges have never been the same since that first incident - the back
of the bonnet has never properly aligned (despite my best efforts with a
gig hunk of wood, as described on this list).

Eric
'68MGB MkII

PS For racing, we have to have a second securing mechanism for the
bonnet in case one fails.  I use a webbing strap, some use a cable and
others did the nasty thing and drills holes in the bonnet for locking
devices.