Re: Deepfrozen norwegian GT owner, some q's

To: <jon.arikstad@merkantildata.no>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Deepfrozen norwegian GT owner, some q's
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 20:50:10 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: <jon.arikstad@merkantildata.no>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2000 3:44 PM
Subject: Deepfrozen norwegian GT owner, some q's

> 1)
> I have to replace a new handbrake cable. It was removed a long time ( last
> summer) ago, not by me.
> Question: does the cable go from the 'compensator' then OVER the rear axle
> or under ?

The compensator should be handing *down*, so the natural (and correct) route
is *under* the axle and from there to the clip on the bottom of the battery
box (on my 73 and 75, anyway).

> 3)
> I am not able to start it. It was getting worse and worse last autum,
before
> i left it. I was alone, so I could no check if I have a spark. The fuel
pump
> is working. I will check again, could be that the choke is not fully
> out.....

Clip a timing light onto the king lead and each plug lead and watch the
light while you are cranking to see if you are getting a spark.  If you are,
do a static timing check to make sure it is around 8 degrees BTDC.  Also
take out No. 1 plug and check that the timing mark on the pulley and the
BTDC pointer are correct in relation to the piston being at BTDC.  If the
timing light does not flash have a look at the web site below - select
'Spanners', 'Electrics' and 'Won't Start'.

PaulH.
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk