Re: brown coolant, blown fuse, push starts

To: "Michael Jose" <mwjose@u.arizona.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: brown coolant, blown fuse, push starts
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 15:45:29 +0100
Oh dear.

Brown coolant indicates its been running for too long with just water in the
system, which causes internal corrosion of the block which causes sludging
of the cooling system which can cause overheating.  Block, rad and heater
core need a good flushing out in both directions.

Loss of cooling fans causes overheating, which if the temp gauge isn't
working so you can't see it will eventually boil over.  If the boil only
occured as you stopped then you may have escaped other damage, or maybe not.

The fans, other circuits you mentioned and the ignition all work off the
white/brown, the other ciruits via the green (fused ignition) the fuse for
which is the 2nd one up in the 4-way block.  The cooling fan has its own
fuse.  It's possible there are bad connections where the white/brown
connects to the fuse block, and this could explain why the fans and other
circuits failed (even though they are fused separately) but the engine
continued to run, also why replacing fuse(s) didn't do any good.

The engine can't run 180 degrees out (I bet yours wishes it was) but
over-advanced timing can cause overheating as well as engine damage.  You
really shouldn't be running the car if you know the timing is way off and
haven't finished adjusting the carbs.

PaulH.