Re: clicking/ticking valve noise diagnosis

To: <Pointparty@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: clicking/ticking valve noise diagnosis
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 09:11:58 +0100
I too have had a loud click plus some general clatter for 25k miles and 10
years and not been able to eliminate it through correct valve adustment
using the Rule of Nine.  However I have only just discovered that if I turn
the crankshaft a little past the Rule of Nine point when adjusting valves 6
and 8 the gap goes up (to 21 in the case of 8) and similar for 7 but
*before* the optimum point.  Setting the *maximum* gap correctly, regardless
of the Rule of Nine, has resulted in an amazingly quiet engine.  However I
am now concerned that too quiet may not be a good thing and would prefer to
hear the clatter and know that the gaps were at least big enough,
particularly as the UK has just lost leaded.

A badly ground crankshaft seems to be the concencus of the problem here,
although the engine is a Gold Seal and they can be better than the
originals!  I don't think it is wear because the clearances have hardly
changed over the aforesaid 25k miles and 10 years.

PaulH.